Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Asus T300L "Press F12 to clear the TPM" or "Press ESC to reject this change request and continue"

Hi guys. I have been dealing problem with my Asus T300L Transformer laptop.
It came with Win8 and after a while computer upgraded to the Windows 10
My wife had been using it for school purpose and we were happy with laptop.
Until my told me to backup her files and reinstall computer.
I am computer expert with almost about 20 years computer experience.
However, trusting with latest OS partition that comes with laptop, I didnt create OS usb etc.
When I fully saved her files to the external hdd, I went through factory resetting.
But clicking Next and Next and Next was to fast but I didnt realize one of the question.
Saying that if you have upgraded to Win10, you have take care encryption or something like that.
Then I saw below message on the screen.

"A configuration change was requested to clear this computer's TPM (Trusted Platform Module)
WARNING: Clearing erases information stored on the TPM. You will lose all created keys and access to data encrypted by those keys.
Press F12 to clear the TPM
Press ESC to reject this change request and continue"

It was lovely message and I read this time carefully. I said well its ok for me to hit f12 or ESC.
Yes as you thought, none of them worked. Plus, no other keys worked.
I went over google and searched to see if anyone had same problem.
There were bunch of people who has same issue and there were different kind of solution.
Unfortunately those solutions were unsuccessful. Keyboard still did not respond.
Pressing volume up key and power button didnt work. No need to try.
I tried to use wireless keyboard, still didnt work. Tried usb keyboard, no luck. Created bios file on usb flash card and connected usb and restarted, computer didnt see usb. Used Asus live chat thinking some expert will help me, there is no expert there.
After 3rd day, I was going to trash it and buy new laptop but wanted to call Asus and ask help.
Anthony on the phone tried to help me honestly but no luck.
I went over with the solution volume up key and press button.
Then he wanted me to over discharge or something like that.
To do that, I needed to press power key more then 60 sec but still didnt work.
I said what do I do? He said I have to ship item to Asus, then they will check it.
Asked him how much I will pay, he said Asus will tell me how much after they diagnose item.
As you know, when you send item, you need to say goodbye to your laptop for about 2 weeks or so.
Decided that Im not going to ship my laptop there without knowing how much I will be charged.
He said Asus will tell me how much before repairing. If I say no, they will send back without repair.
Replied that I still said Im not going to send my laptop and asked better expert who could help.
No luck, I asked where is shipment place. He said California. (Im located in PA. So maybe 4 weeks)
Later I asked "doesnt this Asus have any local repair place? He checked and said yes there is in NY.
He emailed me information and stated RMA saying walk in repair. Told me to just call them and ask help.
Mr Indian friend told me they dont deal with the transformers laptop.
Then notice someone was saying from reddit (User syus5) remove ssd and put back after bios screen.
guys i had the same problem... I found a solution on my ASUS t300la... what i did was force it into bios by removing the hard drive. once i booted it it automatically recognized the keyboard! i did f12 and then put the hard drive back it. it worked like a charm! good luck!
I tried to search how to remove Asus T300L ssd but almost there is no information on whole internet.
Even Asus Manual for this model doenst show how to remove/replace ssd.
Thanks god there is only one person who shows how to open back cover (you dont even need screwdriver)

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/ASUS+T300LA-US51T+SSD+replacement/27863

When you follow this link, skip Step 2 because you dont need to remove battery and go to the Step 3
Its very easy to remove SSD, then turn on laptop, wait for the bios screen, you can turn off pc.
Then place back ssd, then turn on again. Thanks God it came back.

User syus5 from reddit, Thank you.
Sasa Macura from ifixit.com. Thank you.
Asus, who tried to rip me off, shame on you. Hire somone who can help your laptop users.
Readers who got time to read my post. Thanks all.
Users who suffer with same problem, thumbs up if this post solve your problem.

Here some others who have same issue.

http://blog.tony.ro/2014/05/asus-transformer-book-t300la-trusted.html
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/752b592c-9dc1-4925-a36f-14cebe401055/asus-t300la-stuck-on-tpm-clear-error-message?forum=win10itprogeneral
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3g56o2/help_windows_10_reset_tpm_issue/
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19540148


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for you article, is very helpfull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God! This is very helpful, mine is asus zenbook ux305 laptop, I followed the procedure, and I'm so glad that it really worked. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank god. I really appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have an asus t300L and tried this without luck. i took ssd out and restarted with out ssd installed and went right back to same screen. :(

    ReplyDelete